- To get his good night kiss he stood,
- Beside my chair one night.
- And raised an eager face to me,
- A face with love alight.
- And as I gathered in my arms,
- The son God gave to me,
- I thanked the lad for being good,
- And hoped he'd always be.
- His little arms crept around my neck,
- And then I heard him say,
- Four simple words I shall not forget.
- Four words that made me pray.
- They turned a mirror on my soul,
- On secrets no one knew.
- They startled me, I hear them yet;
- He said, "I'll be like you".